Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Kindergarten Graphing with Worksheet Wednesday

I'm not sure about you, but most of the kiddies I have met love sharing their favorites! Favorite food, favorite sport, favorite TV show.....you get the idea! It's a great way to get to know a little more about the kiddies in your class and of course, being teachers, we are going to throw a little data collection and graphing lesson into the mix!

To get started with any math concept, I love to begin with real-life examples. Because voting is quite a common practise in many classrooms, this is a pretty easy way to begin. After some pretty intense morning work, I like to call the kiddies together and tell them our bodies need some fresh air and exercise and our brains need a little rest. I tell them that I have 2 (sometimes 3) activities in mind to choose from, but we only have time for 1. Then I tell them the options and have them carefully think about their favorite activity. Children who like option 1 form a group in one corner of the room, and those who like the alternative gather on the opposite side of the room. We count the number of children in each group and play the game that the majority 'voted' for. Easy Peasy!

After our 'break' we debrief a little and chat about how we 'voted' for our favorite activity. Then we chat about some other favorites and together we create a graph. I love using sticker dots for this part. One dot, one vote. Favorite colors are a great visual!


Then we have a little mini-lesson on the graph we created together - Which color had the most votes? Which color was the least popular?

And here comes my freebie - once the kiddies are ready to do some independent graphing activities I throw a little love their way. Here's one from my Valentine pack. Yes, I know it's June, but What the World Need Now is Love, right? Click the image to grab it!


It's part of my larger Valentine Print and Go Pack that you can purchase at my TpT Store.

Linking up with The Teaching Tribune today for their Worksheet Wednesday. Head on over to grab some more great FREE worksheets!



2 comments: